Earlier than you step foot within the nice open air, learn this information!
There’s nothing extra embarrassing than a metropolis slicker getting misplaced within the woods, so let’s be sure to know the place you’re going, what to put on, and what to deliver.
That means your first hike might be enjoyable, adventurous, and extra importantly secure!
Immediately we are going to cowl:
I’m comfortable you’re enthusiastic about mountaineering and I can’t anticipate you to get began!
I took the above image whereas mountaineering by means of Killarney Nationwide Park in Eire a few years in the past, and each time I have a look at it, I can’t assist however consider Tolkien’s Center-earth masterpiece, so I apologize (probably not) for all the Lord of the Rings nerdery operating all through this put up!
Our neighborhood members love mountaineering too. In actual fact, one among our current success tales particularly cited mountaineering as one of many enjoyable actions she beloved to do to assist her lose 50 kilos:
By the tip of at this time’s put up, my purpose is to have you ever choose a path, choose a date, and establish a fella or gal to be a part of your fellowship (galship?).
Earlier than we bounce in, are you right here since you’re studying to hike to shed some pounds? Did you hear it’s a enjoyable means to train and get your physique transferring?
If that’s the case, you’ve come to the precise place!
As I discussed, some shoppers in our uber-popular 1-on-1 On-line Teaching Program used mountaineering as a part of their weight reduction coaching. These people would relatively head outdoors than bounce on a treadmill, and our coaches designed a program so they might do exactly that!
Right here’s the way it works: your NF Coach will construct a customized exercise plan based mostly in your expertise degree and targets. Coaching to climb up a literal mountain? Possibly you want to eliminate an previous ring? We’ll create a plan to get you to the highest!
Alright, let’s get you mountaineering!
How Do I Discover Mountaineering Trails Close to Me? (How to Begin Mountaineering)
Whenever you consider mountaineering, you may think a bunch of road-tested perma-travelers with outsized backpacks, mountaineering by means of epic mountains for weeks upon weeks at a time.
Or possibly, a pair of hobbits setting out on a worldwide journey to destroy a hoop of awe-inspiring energy.
Should you’re simply starting your journey to a greater life-style, simply excited about severe mountaineering will be sufficient to preserve you inside your cozy hobbit gap.
Though mountaineering will be an epic enterprise, it doesn’t want to be!
A hike additionally will be tremendous easy and enjoyable:
- A fast jaunt (such an incredible phrase, proper?) round your native park after work.
- Exploring the woods behind your own home along with your youngsters on a Saturday morning.
- A half-day hike with your pals on a enjoyable nature path.
- A full day or in a single day hike that additionally contains tenting.
Right here’s my definition for mountaineering: A individual (or halfing, or self-aware robotic) exploring their environment and their toes are on the precise floor. Like, dust. And grass.
Some may say it wants to be tough, have a sure elevation change, require a blah blah blah. It actually doesn’t matter.
What issues is that you simply go outdoors and do one thing you wouldn’t have carried out in any other case.
Right here within the Nerd Health Insurrection, hikers would fall into the Adventurer class.
If you’re looking for a fun “cardio” activity and want to exercise in a way that’s exciting, hiking is a great way to get your legs, feet, and body used to some strenuous activity.
You get to pick your speed and difficulty, and you can always find the right amount of challenge for you.
HIKING 101: 5 STEPS TO PLAN OUT YOUR ADVENTURE
1) Decide how long you have to hike. This is a beginner’s guide to hiking, we’re not looking to hike the Appalachian Trail. Instead, we want to start with trails that can be done in less than a day, that won’t require you to pack a tent, or bring an extra change of clothes. Pick a hike based on how much time you have – do you have the entire Sunday? Or do you just have a few hours on a Tuesday afternoon? It took Frodo and Sam 6 months to get to Mordor, but you probably don’t have that much time.
However, if you DID want to “walk to Mordor,” I got you covered there too. You’re welcome!
2) Decide if you’ll be hiking solo or with a friend/group – I love hiking solo – it’s mobile meditation for me. However, it’s also more dangerous should anything happen while you’re out on the trail! If you’re heading into the wilderness, I’d recommend buddying up with a friend or your significant other for your hike. It’s the perfect bonding opportunity. This is especially true if they have more hiking experience or they know the area that you’re hiking in.
3) Determine your level – if you are a hiking newbie and horribly out of shape, sending yourself out on an eight-hour hike through the unmapped wilderness is incredibly unintelligent. And as your mom has probably told you before, “I thought you were smarter than that.”
Start slow, and pick places around your town that will allow you to stop when necessary and get back to your car or home quickly. No need to be a hero; it’s always better to come back excited and say “wow that was easier than I expected!” than to realize you’re six hours from home and out of steam. Well, being a hero is cool. But not THAT kind of hero.
4) Pick your hiking location – Keep it simple! Go to AllTrails.com, put in your zip code, discover your mountaineering path!
Or pull up Google Maps and search for huge inexperienced plots of land. We name these “parks.” Google the park identify, find out about it, and resolve if that’s the place you need to go. Don’t overcomplicate this step. Simply get began.
Ask your lively, adventurous buddies or coworkers in the event that they know any good spots.
The world is FULL of mountaineering trails and awesomeness – you simply want to know the place to look.
5) No matter the place you’re going, let any person else know the place and when – in case you are out mountaineering alone, take the time to electronic mail or name any person and let him know that you simply’ll be mountaineering and while you count on to be again.
We don’t need to hear about any 127 Hours tales on NF…that may make taking part in video video games far more tough.
You don’t want to inform them the model of your underwear (please inform me you’re sporting underwear) or what number of almonds you’re bringing, however allow them to know the necessary particulars so in the event that they don’t hear again from you by a sure time they know to alert the correct authorities.
So proper now, it’s best to have solutions to the next questions:
- How a lot time you may dedicate to mountaineering.
- Who you’ll be mountaineering with.
- Your degree of expertise
- Utilizing AllTrails.com or GoogleMaps to choose your mountaineering location.
- Who you’ll inform about your mountaineering expertise.
- How a lot XP will I earn by doing this?
That final level is about our enjoyable new habit-building app, which permits you to degree up (actually) by happening walks or hikes.
You can strive it totally free proper right here:
What Sneakers Do I Put on Mountaineering? (Correct Footwear)
That is easy: stilettos, your favourite mini skirt, a fishnet halter high, and a vest made out of uncooked meat. You’re welcome!
Wait, don’t do this.
I’m an enormous fan of being comfy with out breaking the financial institution. Like, you in all probability have already got a lot of the clothes you want to go mountaineering.
WHAT SHOES SHOULD I WEAR TO HIKE IN?
We cowl footwear extensively in our healthy feet article, but I’ll cover shoes specifically in the case of hiking here.
We at Nerd Fitness are huge fan of Merrell products – Merrell shoes of various types have treated me well for the past decade.
Just don’t let a lack of quality hiking boots keep you from a hike. If you’re concerned, pick an easy-paced hike with your current shoes to be safe and ramp up when you can ramp up your gear!
Some people hike the Appalachian Trail in their bare feet (must be part-Hobbit), so whatever you do: don’t let your footwear options keep you from getting started. Just make sure you break your shoes in and take them on test drives! Don’t take the tags off a new pair of shoes and then go on a multi-day hike – that’s a recipe for blisters and a miserable time.
Okay, let’s look at our feet.
Now that we’ve done that, let’s look at some shoe options:
LEVEL ONE: Hiking shoes – “hiking shoes” are great if you’re going to be doing simple day hikes or hiking occasionally: they have a good grip on the bottom, give you enough support, but aren’t too heavy that they are a hindrance.
Here are my favorite options if you are in the market for some new basic walking/hiking shoes:
- Merrell Vent Hiking Shoe
- Merrell Trail Glove 4 (Men) – I’ve the blue ones. They rock.
- Merrell Trail Glove 4 (women)
Oh, what’s that? “Steve, I don’t have mountaineering footwear! Is that this the tip of the world?”
Effectively, do you might have any type of athletic shoe? Relying on the grip on the underside, they may very well be decently okay for you to get began with when it comes to a fundamental hike. If sneakers are your solely possibility, lace em up, choose a newbie hike, and see how they do. Simply watch out on slippery surfaces – your kicks may not provide the grip you want to recover from them.
LEVEL TWO – Mountaineering boots – I don’t hike sufficient or do sufficient multi-day hikes to justify the price of mountaineering boots, however once more I’d level to Merrell boots should you’re out there.
“Why boots over footwear, Steve?”
Though many favor path footwear (like yours actually), I can completely see the worth in an incredible pair of mountaineering boots should you’re happening a severe hike, touring for a number of days, or extra. They’ve extra ankle assist, thicker tread, thicker footwear, and supply your toes with considerably extra safety.
REI has an incredible article serving to you pick between Trail shoes and Trail boots. My recommendation? Begin with what you at the moment have earlier than deciding whether or not or not to put money into huge boots. When you construct up the behavior of mountaineering and resolve you need to make it an even bigger a part of your life, you can also make the funding.
My recommendation? If you’re going to purchase boots, go to an expert retailer, get fitted correctly, after which break them in over many weeks earlier than going out on a path.
WEIRD BUT FUN FOR SIMPLE HIKES: Vibram FiveFingers – I hiked throughout the globe, in numerous conditions, sporting my Vibrams for shut to 4 years. They made me really feel like a ninja monkey and a hobbit. I obtained bizarre seems to be, however one thing simply felt proper about having the ability to really feel the contours of the bottom beneath me. I’ll say, when mountaineering in Vibrams it may be simpler to twist an ankle when stepping on a root or rock, stepping on sharp rocks can damage, so I discovered myself watching my toes rather more than anticipated.
Nowadays, I’m rather more of a path shoe type of man, however some nonetheless swear by Vibrams!
Should you’re out there for getting new boots, this fast video is an effective primer:
WHAT SOCKS SHOULD YOU WEAR?
Should you’re sporting boots or sneakers, you need to put on socks that aren’t going to provide you with blisters or make your toes all sweaty and gross.
Relying on how lengthy the hike is, how severe you’re about mountaineering, and your finances, you may look into merino-wool socks.
Like the remainder of your outfit, what you put on in your toes will largely be depending on a couple of issues:
- Climate! Are you mountaineering within the forest and it’s 72 levels out? Or are you mountaineering up the facet of the mountain in chilly situations?
- Sneakers! Are you in light-weight mountaineering footwear, light-weight mountaineering socks for the win. Mountaineering in huge boots in chilly months? Massive thick heat socks are virtually a requirement.
- Finances! Are you searching for particular socks? Tall or brief? Nice. If you’re model new to mountaineering, simply put on no matter athletic socks you put on whereas exercising.
- What’s the setting? Should you’re mountaineering by means of grass, tall crops, and many others. I’d go together with tall socks (along with your pants presumably tucked into them too). You’re not on the market to win a vogue present!
SHOULD I WEAR PANTS OR SHORTS?
Professional tip: Don’t go pantless by means of the wilderness. I can’t stress this sufficient.
The actual recommendation when it comes to pants/shorts is closely dependent upon your setting. If it’s going to be chilly, shorts may preserve you shivering. If it’s going to be sizzling, pants may get too uncomfortable.
Denims? Ehhhhh. Positive. ONLY if it’s going to be a snug temperature and you don’t have any different possibility. Being sweaty and sizzling whereas sporting denims isn’t very enjoyable.
I’m an enormous fan of my nerd pants – the Columbia Silver Ridge pants. Though they appear type of goofy, they’re extremely light-weight, dry rapidly, and may transform from pants to shorts in mere seconds!
Touring by means of woods, unsure what you’ll encounter? Put on light-weight pants. I’m horribly allergic to poison ivy and who is aware of what else, so I like to preserve as a lot of my physique lined whereas mountaineering to ensure that I don’t make contact with something I’m allergic to. 
WHAT TYPE OF SHIRT SHOULD I WEAR?
Should you’re simply beginning out, choose an previous t-shirt and rock that – you may work on optimizing efficiency when you’ve obtained a couple of hikes underneath your belt.
Should you’re on a multi-day hike in numerous situations then having light-weight merino wool shirts you may layer and never want to wash can be nice. However simply going for a hike within the woods in your yard? No matter you’d put on whereas operating, coaching, and many others. Aka no matter gained’t chafe!
SHOULD I BRING A JACKET?
I’ve been sporting this Mountain Hardware jacket on most of my hikes and it has been superior (10 years and counting) – very light-weight so packing it isn’t a trouble, waterproof so it retains me dry when it rains, and heavy sufficient to block the wind to preserve me heat when it’s chilly.
Don’t exit of your means to purchase a brand new jacket you probably have an honest windbreaker, however should you’re going to be doing plenty of mountaineering otherwise you’re out there for a brand new coat, right here’s my recommendation: go to an area retailer and check out all the jackets till you discover one you want.
As soon as you discover the proper jacket, go house and verify on-line (you may generally discover the identical jacket for up to 60% much less) – then, ask the native retailer in the event that they’ll value match or simply purchase it on-line.
SHOULD I WEAR A HAT?
You ought to undoubtedly deliver a hat. I’m normally rocking my Nerd Health hat or my Crimson Sox hat (booo Yankees), however whereas hiking in Australia I wore a hat with an enormous floppy brim to preserve my ears and face shielded from the solar.
The tops of your ears and again of your neck are extremely inclined to getting burned whereas on the path, so both get some sunscreen or put on a hat that retains them lined.
The identical is true for retaining pesky issues out of your hair, the solar from burning your ears and face, and preserve you a bit cooler.
WHAT KIND OF BACKPACK SHOULD I BRING?
Digging into the ins and outs of backpacks is way past the scope of this text. I’d suggest you take a look at my buddy Chase’s Bag Review Youtube channel – assured to be essentially the most enjoyable you’ll ever have studying about luggage.
So what would I like to recommend for a newbie on a hike? The bag you at the moment have! Should you’re happening a brief hike, you can begin with merely no matter bag you might have. The lighter and comfier it’s, the higher.
Multi-day hikes the place you’re residing out of your bag, packing up, and constructing a tent every day – that is past the scope of this text. I’ve rocked a Kelty Coyote bag that I’ve lived out of for months at a time, and have additionally used on multi-day hikes.
When you have the means and the time, and also you’re planning to go on sure hikes, go to an outside specialty retailer, communicate with an expert, and get fitted in your physique kind and the kind of hike you’re doing!
THE MORAL OF THE STORY: VERSATILITY
In case your climate forecast is “75 and sunny,” and also you’re mountaineering for the afternoon by means of a steadily sloping wooded forest, you may severely restrict what you’re bringing with you.
If it’s questionable or seems to be like issues may change in the course of the day, versatility is your finest wager – a jacket, pants that may grow to be shorts, a protracted sleeve shirt that you would be able to take off or roll the sleeves up, and many others.
Don’t exit and purchase all new stuff till you’re certain mountaineering is an exercise you need to put money into. Borrow from buddies, make do with what you might have
Simply get began.
BY NOW YOU SHOULD HAVE A ROUGH IDEA OF WHAT YOU WILL BE WEARING!
In your head you ought to be saying, “Steve how are you going to learn my thoughts?!
I simply determined:
- I’d hike in my present fitness center sneakers.
- I’ve a pair of gardening pants and tall socks I can put on.
- I’ve a floppy hat.
I really feel like I’m good to go!”
Get Your FREE Nerd Health Useful resource Package
- 15 Health traps it’s best to keep away from
- Complete newbie’s information to Paleo food plan
- BONUS: How to degree up your life and be the hero of your personal story
If there’s ONE factor you shouldn’t go away house with out, it’s a water container so you may keep hydrated.
“How a lot water ought to I be consuming on my hike, Steve?”
Nice query. I knew you had been sensible from the second you began studying this text.
You ought to be consuming 1 liter of water each two hours as a tough guideline. Improve this quantity in case you are mountaineering in very heat/desert climates.
FAVORITE WATER CONTAINERS:
I’m partial to stainless steel bottles or aluminum bottles over Nalgene or reused plastic bottles, however make do with what you might have. Simply be sure to deliver sufficient water with you to preserve you hydrated by means of your journey.
Happening longer hikes?
Get your self a hydration backpack (which may double as your mountaineering pack!) to transplant water extra conveniently.
Not solely that however be sure to have been consuming water earlier than you go mountaineering so that you simply’re not beginning at a hydration deficit.
Hangovers + early morning hikes – water = unhealthy information bears.
What Gear Ought to I Convey on My Hike? (Sunscreen, Knives, and First Support Kits)
Should you’re simply getting began, I’m going to guess you gained’t be climbing to the top of a mountain in Alaska, but rather going on an introductory hike that will help build your confidence and get you rolling.
Here’s what I’d recommend you bring with you on your adventure:
- Sunscreen – If it’s sunny outside and you’re hiking through the woods or up a mountain with a cool breeze in your face, you probably won’t be able to tell that your ears and face are getting absolutely torched. Get yourself some waterproof sweatproof sunscreen (SPF 30 minimum) to cover up those ears, cheeks, and back of your neck.
- Bug spray – especially if it’s “that time of the year” in your area where bugs are out in full force. Nothing worse than coming home to arms and legs covered in bug bites.
- First aid kit – Having some first aid stuff with you is a good idea: band-aids and moleskin for blisters and cuts, Neosporin or some type of disinfectant for cuts/scrapes, and maybe a bandage or two just in case. Outdoor stores sell travel first aid kits (as does Amazon), however I’d advise you to make your personal (it’s best to have these items in your drugs cupboard anyway – and then you definately’ll know precisely the place every thing is!).
- Pocket knife – Not important should you’re in a park, however an excellent factor to have with you out within the woods so that you’re ready for something. Like McGyver.
- Sun shades – No want to go blind whereas out on the path. You in all probability have already got sun shades floating round your own home: I’d suggest bringing the $5 ones relatively than $250 Ray-Bans.
- Cellphone – a telephone will help bail you out in case of an emergency, and you probably have a smartphone it may multitask as your compass, distance tracker, mapper, and so forth. Even you probably have a cellphone, bringing a compass or GPS system isn’t a nasty thought (until it’s shiny and sunny and also you’re good at orienting your self).
Should you’re happening an extended hike, bringing a lightweight phone charger that you should utilize to cost your telephone up rapidly is normally fairly straightforward.
What Meals Ought to I Convey Mountaineering? What Ought to I Eat on a Day Hike?
You know, the stuff that retains us alive.
The reply to this can differ vastly relying on how lengthy you intend on mountaineering for, the time of day, your love of snacking, so the advice here is going to largely mirror the advice we give in our nutritional posts!
Although by no means a complete list of snacks, this is usually what I like to pack in my bag before a hike:
- Nuts – Almonds or walnuts. Great for snacking on, loaded w/ healthy fat and protein. Nut butters are a good healthy fat option too – my favorite is Trader Joe’s raw unsalted almond butter. Ingredient: almonds! They are high in calorie content however, so if you are trying to lose weight, don’t do a 10-minute walk and eat 4000 calories worth of nuts. We in the business like to call that “counterproductive.”
- Fruit – I throw two or three apples in my bag; apples and nuts mean I’ve pretty much got all of the fat, protein, and carbs I need for my day. Things like bananas, raisins, and other fruit are good options as well – pick based on your personal preference and tastes. Just be careful with dried fruit, because it can have lots of sugar and calories, so don’t kid yourself into eating 5000 calories worth of dried fruit and call it healthy! It’s something we explore in-depth in our guide “Is Fruit Healthy?“
- Beef jerky! Make your own or go together with some high-quality store-bought stuff. Plenty of protein, straightforward to pack, and retains nicely. Mmmmmm.
What about path combine or granola bars? You’d in all probability assume granola bars and path combine are synonymous with mountaineering, however I’m really not a fan of both until they’re selfmade – these merchandise are normally loaded with salt/sugar and processed grains and are fairly rattling unhealthy.
Should you’re gonna go together with path combine, make your personal with dried fruit and uncooked unsalted nuts. Should you DON’T produce other choices, tossing a couple of granola bars within the bag isn’t the tip of the world.
Extra meals recommendation right here:
A e book (elective) – I LOVE READING (greater than I really like lowercase letters), so I at all times journey with my Kindle. Though mountaineering with buddies will be enjoyable, I additionally get an enormous thrill out of mountaineering out to a distant location overlooking a valley or sitting on the sting of a river with a e book in order that I can spend a couple of hours getting misplaced in a narrative.
If it’s a multi-day hike and also you’re avoiding know-how, then bringing a useless tree e book is price the additional weight in your bag!
A digicam (elective) – Though I’ve a digicam that I journey with, a lot of the footage I’ve been taking lately have been carried out with my iPhone utilizing apps like Camera+ or ProHDR (which I freaking love). Each apps are definitely worth the value.
You don’t want to be an incredible photographer, simply want to seize the second to look again on fondly as a crotchety previous grandpa. Clearly, should you’re a severe photographer, you’ve already deliberate to pack your DSLR so I gained’t get into that.
Seven Mountaineering Ideas for Rookies
- KNOW THE LOCAL WILDLIFE! Do a fast search of your hike to know what types of critters you’ll encounter on the path. If you’re mountaineering in bear nation or snake nation, these are issues it’s essential to know. Whether or not it’s carrying a can of bear mace or realizing what to search for, this will help you forestall severe issues. Additionally, be careful for wild ostriches.
- CLEAN UP, CHECK FOR TICKS – should you’re in a closely wooded space and carving by means of the wilderness, verify your self for ticks and be sure to take a bathe with sizzling water and cleaning soap instantly while you get house in case you got here involved with any toxic crops or issues like that. I can’t inform you what number of instances I wakened with a swollen face as a child due to my hike by means of poison ivy the day earlier than.
- AIM FOR THE HIGH GROUND – I really like mountaineering to tall issues: the highest of a mountain, the excessive level in a city, the roof of a constructing. It offers you an incredible midway level to cease, eat some lunch or dinner, and benefit from the view; plus, you already know precisely how far you want to go in your means down. One piece of recommendation on going DOWN a steep mountain or plenty of steps: Shorten your stride, and take care to land on the balls of your toes with a bent knee if attainable – should you’re touchdown in your heels for hundreds of steps, it may wreak havoc in your knees and joints as there’s no shock absorption. I bear in mind how sore my knees had been the day after mountaineering down Colca Canyon in Peru with my buddy Cash because I didn’t make an effort to soften my steps and take care of my body.
- URBAN HIKING – “But Steve I live in a city, I can’t go hiking!” Why the hell not? Load up your backpack, map out a route on Google Maps, maybe even find a tall building – avoid the elevator, climb the steps. Or walk until you find a park, sit on a bench, and read a book. Sure, it’s not the same as hiking the Rockies, but it will still get your heart pumping and feet moving! Like The Goonies teaches us, adventure can be found in your own backyard with the right attitude!
- KEEP TRACK OF IT – If you have an iPhone or Android, download a hiking or running app to keep track of how far you go and how much hiking you do. Although I haven’t been tracking my hikes abroad (I leave my phone in Airplane mode while traveling), I’ve heard great things about RunKeeper and EasyTrails. When you have extra apps or strategies on how to preserve monitor of your hikes, let me know within the feedback and I’ll add them right here. I personally use an affordable Fitbit Flex 2, which tracks my steps and elevation. Adequate!
- GEOCACHING – Nice enjoyable will be had whereas geocaching. Merely go to the web site, monitor your location, after which resolve on which cache you’re going to monitor down. Consider it as a real-life model of Indiana Jones or Uncharted, minus the Nazis and undead warriors. We geocached round Sydney for a Nerd Health meetup, and it was pleasant!
- GIVE A HOOT, DON’T POLLUTE – Pack it in, pack it out. Should you deliver something with you, it higher be coming again with you. Don’t go away trash within the woods, and choose up any additional trash you see on the market. The wilderness thanks you in your service, citizen!
Not all those that wander are misplaced (sTART hIKING tODAY)
This text is only a primer, meant to whet your urge for food and make you excited to go mountaineering and exploring the fantastic world round us.
Listed below are a couple of different sources on mountaineering if you’d like extra info. Be happy to let me know extra within the feedback:
I problem you to plan a hike for this upcoming weekend. YES, even should you’re within the reverse hemisphere and it’s actually chilly out!
Get some nice snacks, strap in your footwear, seize a buddy, and go discover.
I’d love to hear from you in regards to the place you’re going mountaineering this weekend.
Go away a remark beneath and let me know:
- The place you’re going.
- Whenever you’re going.
- And what you’re most enthusiastic about!
- Promise that you simply gained’t hike pants-less.
- Any ideas you might have in your fellow hikers.
PS: Nonetheless not sure should you’ll be prepared in your huge hike? I’ll once more remind you of our 1-on-1 On-line Teaching Program. We have now shoppers who efficiently used this system to practice for mountaineering up massive mountains, and we’d love to see if we will help you too!
PPS: If Teaching ain’t your bag, you may at all times use our new app to jumpstart your new adventures!
photograph credit score: 77krc Mixed Nuts
All different images from my Photostream